[Samba] Spoof server name to redirect calls to another server?

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 7 21:51:28 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've got an ageing NT4 server on our NT4 domain. The hardware is getting
unreliable and few people use it. Unfortunately/predicatably the few
people who use it are senior staff and they have some (important,
naturally) Excel spreadsheets which link to files on this server by
name.

As I haven't been entirely successful in weening them off this server
I've been keeping it ticking over but I wondered if there was a way to
remove the server but keep the UNC name for the share alive and get it
redirected to another location, i.e. I get rid of SERVER1 but somehow
keep requests for \\SERVER1\SHARE going to \\SERVER2\SHARE.

Is there a Samba solution to this?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Leon...