[Samba] Winbind

waltd at twcny.rr.com waltd at twcny.rr.com
Thu Nov 4 20:49:12 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I really need some help with this. I am trying to get winbind working on HPUX 11.0. We are running Samba 3.0.7 with ADS authentication. Kerberos is configured and I can authenticate to ADS as long as the UNIX user id exists. We would like to avoid creating UNIX id's and use winbind to retrieve the UID/GID information. I can run the wbinfo -u, wbinfo -g, wbinfo -t, wbinfo -m and all looks great.

When connecting from a client that does not exist on the UNIX server I was getting the following message:
[2004/11/04 10:39:48, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(250)
  Username DOMAINNAME+username is invalid on this system

I then created the libnss_winbind.sl using "make nsswitch" while in the Samba source directory. I moved the libnss_winbind.sl file to /lib and created a symbolic link using "ln -s /lib/libnss_winbind.sl /lib/libnss_winbind.1".

I changed my nsswitch.conf file so it contains the entries below:
passwd:     compat winbind
group:      compat winbind

Then I tried to map a drive from a W2K client and I receive the following error in the client log file:
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: _nss_winbind_getpwnam_r (code)  from /usr/lib/libnss_winbind.1

I have tried using the gcc 3.3.2 compiler and the HP ANSI C compiler when running the configure and make commands and still have the same result. I have done the make distclean prior to rerunning the configure and make commands.

When running "ldd -r /lib/libnss_winbind.1" I receive the following output:
        symbol not found: free  (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: getpid        (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: close (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: fcntl (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: lstat (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: geteuid       (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: strncpy       (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: strlen        (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: strncat       (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: memset        (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: socket        (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: connect       (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: select        (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: getsockopt    (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: rand  (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: sleep (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: write (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: read  (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: malloc        (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: getenv        (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: atoi  (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: putenv        (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: __SB_masks    (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _isdigit      (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_setpwent (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_endpwent (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_getpwent_r       (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_getpwnam_r       (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_getpwuid_r       (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_setgrent (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_endgrent (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_getgrent_r       (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_getgrnam_r       (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_getgrgid_r       (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: _nss_winbind_initgroups_dyn   (/lib/libnss_winbind.1)
        symbol not found: __sys_atexit  (/usr/ccs/lib/lddstub)

Is this a bug in Samba 3.0.7? Does this work on the HPUX 11.0 platform at all? Is there something I'm missing on the HPUX server that allows this work?

I have searched the archives for over a week and cannot find any assistance there.

This is the last step to complete this project and move this into production and I really need to get this working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If more information is needed, please let me know. I will be happy to pass it along.

Thanks in advance,
Walt