[Samba] Samba 3 PDC & BDC Servers

Larry Hansford lhansfor at lch-assoc.com
Fri May 28 19:15:34 GMT 2004

I'm not sure what the configurations of the Primary and Backup servers
should be to enable them to operate as a domain across a WAN.  The original
server has been running for some time as the master server, but now I am
adding a second (backup) server at the remote site.  The global section of
the original server is:

[global]
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         printer = Lab_LJ1200
         guest account = pcguest
         passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
         admin users = root @sysadmin
         printer admin = @sysadmin
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
         obey pam restrictions = yes
         printer name = Lab_LJ1200
         guest ok = yes
         local master = yes
         domain master = yes
         encrypt passwords = yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         dns proxy = no
         netbios name = MAINSERVER
         printing = cups
         server string = mainserver
         logon script = default.bat
         unix password sync = yes
         workgroup = OFFICE
         os level = 125
         preferred master = yes
         max log size = 1000
         pam password change = yes
         log level = 3
         security = user
         domain logons = yes
         add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c NTMachine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %u
         delete user script = usr/sbin/userdel %u
         delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
         add user to group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -a %u %g
         set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g %g %u
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 600 -s
/bin/false -M %u
         winbind separator = +
         idmap uid = 10000-20000
         idmap gid = 10000-20000
         winbind enum users = yes
         winbind enum groups = yes
         disable netbios = yes
         use client driver = yes
         time server = yes
         wins support = yes
         name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

When I added the server at the remote site, I set up the global section
like this:

[global]
#       dos charset = CP932
         dos charset = UTF-8
#       unix charset = EUC-JP
         unix charset = UTF-8
         display charset = CP932
         workgroup = OFFICE
         server string = remoteserver
         security = domain
         obey pam restrictions = Yes
         password server = mainserver
         guest account = pcguest
         pam password change = Yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
         passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
         unix password sync = Yes
         log level = 3
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 1000
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
         add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c NTMachine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %u
         logon script = default.bat
         delete user script = usr/sbin/userdel %u
         delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
         add user to group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -a %u %g
         os level = 30
         preferred master = No
         local master = No
         domain master = No
         dns proxy = No
         guest ok = Yes
         printer name = Remote_LJ6P
         name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
         encrypt passwords = yes
         wins support = yes
         admin users = root @sysadmin
         printer admin = @sysadmin
         netbios name = REMOTESERVER
         printing = cups
         domain logons = yes
         set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g %g %u
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 600 -s
/bin/false -M %u
         winbind separator = +
         idmap uid = 10000-20000
         idmap gid = 10000-20000
         winbind enum users = yes
         winbind enum groups = yes
         disable netbios = yes
         use client driver = yes

I joined the secondary one to the domain, and all the users can access all
directories/files, but I get the following warning in the /var/log/messages
file on the secondary server:

Server's Role (logon server) NOT ADVISED with domain-level security

What should I change in the two server's global sections to ensure they
operate at primary and backup?

Thanks!

Larry