[Samba] File already in use?

Andreas Haumer andreas at xss.co.at
Thu May 27 11:32:05 GMT 2004

Hi Jeremy!

Thanks for stepping in!

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:41:35AM -0500, Chris Garrigues wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm running 3.0.4 and have had several reports from users both using Office
>>and Lotus where the application tells them that the file is already in use
>>when we know it isn't.
>

> Can anyone give me a reproducible test case for this please ? A set of
> client operations that reliably reproduces it would be best. If not,
> an ethereal capture trace showing the entire session might help track
> this down.

I do not have an explicit test case for this problem.
It just "happens" sometimes: the user is trying to
open a file on a simple samba share he (or she) works
regularily with and for no apparent reason windows pops
up a dialog telling it "can't open the file because it's
already opened by some other user or process".
No need to say that all users say they have _not_
already opened the file in any way.

Samba log messages tell me that the file was indeed
opened and closed several times in less than a second
when the user is trying to access the file. Eventually
I then see this "share violation on file" error in the
logs (see my previous mail).
I can not link this error message 1:1 to this problem though,
as I see many more of them in the log file than I have user
reports about this problem.

If the user then acknowledges the windows error dialog by
klicking "OK", the file opens without further problems.
There is no need to restart Samba or the Windows PC.
(so it's more an annoyance and in no way a showstopper,
but it would be nice to have it resolved anyway)

We have about 25 users on this fileserver (samba 3.0.2a
in PDC configuration, Linux 2.4.25, client PC's use Windows
XP professional SP1) and it happes for most of the users
once or twice about every other day.

I have now increased samba loglevel to 10. I have tcpdump
running to dump the whole traffic between the fileserver
and a particular PC into tracefiles (file size limit is 5MB,
snaplen is unlimited) which then can be examined by ethereal.
I have instructed the user on this PC to report the problem
as soon as it happens again.

I hope to have a usable tracefile and logfile soon!
Tell me if you need any additional information!

Thanks for your support!

- - andreas

- --
Andreas Haumer                     | mailto:andreas at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme              | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20             | Tel: +43-1-6060114-0
A-1100 Vienna, Austria             | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71