[Samba] samba printpdf setup broken in later versions

Hamish captainmish at gmx.net
Thu May 27 09:00:56 GMT 2004

I have a script which emails the pdf if you like? (I have now modified
this to just email a link to the pdf, but it can be changed back fairly
easily) Im no scripting expert but it works, if you improve on it -
please send me a copy!

#!/bin/bash
#
# Simple script using ps2pdf to allow samba users to create pdf files
# invoke from samba print command = {this file} %s %U
# Requires ps2pdf and mail

# PDF will be saved directly to a samba share
# $OUTDIR is the linux path to the final saved file directory
# $SAMBADIR is the unc path windows users will use to get to the directory
# $FINALFILE is the name of the file
# - as long as a user does not make more than 1 pdf per second, this name
# should be ok
# $MYDOMAIN is the email domain to send the link

PSFILE=$1
USER=$2
COMPUTER=$3
IP=$4
DATE=`date +%H%M%S-%d%m%y`
OUTDIR=/data1/general/pdfs
SAMBADIR="\\\dataserver\general\pdfs"
FINALFILE=$USER-$DATE.pdf
MAILDOMAIN="mydomain.com"

ps2pdf $PSFILE $OUTDIR/$DATE-$USER.temp

mv $OUTDIR/$DATE-$USER.temp $OUTDIR/$FINALFILE
chmod 700 $OUTDIR/$FINALFILE
rm $PSFILE
echo Hi $USER, you printed a file from $COMPUTER $IP, the PDF version of
the file is located here: $SAMBADIR\\$FINALFILE. | mail -s "Your PDF" -r
IT@$MYDOMAIN $USER@$MYDOMAIN