[Samba] samba 3 ads/domain member server has some problems

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Mon May 24 11:23:41 GMT 2004

hi,
after we migrate our samba server SERVER from 2.x to 3.0.4 (which was
not so easy and I can recommend everyone the convmv tool to convert the
old filenames to the new one utf8), and we (finaly) able to join to the
ADS server (the samba server is a simple ADS memeber server).
we have a few problems:

- the win2000 clients can see the shares on the samba server if and only
if they are member of the same domain and the user login to the same
domain as the samba server. ie. if we has DOM1 and the win2000 client
login to local workstation (or other domain) rather than the domain of
the samba server the we got the following error:
"\\SERVER is not accessible.
  The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain
failed."

- another problem is that the win9x clients are no longer able to
connect to the samba sever. they alway got a prompt for the password for
\\SERVER\IPC$. but of course they don't know such a password.

- the worst thing is that I try to use samba 3.0.4 as security = DOMAIN
rather then the new ADS, but it's even worst! it seems that samba 3 is
no longer able to take part as a NT style domain member in an ads
enviroment (while at the same time samba 2 is able to do that and can be
used from both win9x and win2000 clients.

does anyone has any success with samba 3 or with the above problems. it
would be very important for us.
thank in advance for any help.
yours.