[Samba] Samba 3.0.4 PDC w/ LDAP - XP client

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Wed May 19 14:12:01 GMT 2004

Hello, John,

Mittwoch, 19. Mai 2004, 13:44 you wrote:

JA> Ok using 3.0.4 and the latest  smbldap-tools and you've used
JA> smbldap-populate to populate your ldap tree

JA> Try this..

JA> edit /etc/samba.smb.conf and comment out the root map
JA> ie;
JA> [root at Bob samba]# cat smbusers
JA> # Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
JA> #root = administrator admin
JA> nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

I don't have that mapping ...

Did a find for that file and only found it in the source-trees of
Samba in the packaging dir.

I am currently using Suse Linux 9.0 on that box and
configured/compiled Samba 3.0.4 with these options:

$ ./configure --exec-prefix=/usr --with-configdir=/etc/samba
--with-logfilebase=/var/log/samba --with-acl-support
--disable-static --with-smbmount --enable-cups --with-ldapsam

I am not sure about the acl-flag anymore ...

JA> then set the password for the 'Administrator'

JA> smbpasswd Administrator.

JA> smbldap-populate creates a user named 'Administrator' with a uid=0

changed it to "1" and created root with uid=0 already.

After that did "smbpasswd root".

(I still find it confusing to have all those ways to modify/set
passwds: smbpasswd, smbldap-passwd, pdbedit ... which one to use
when?)

I think I could start over and edit the populate-script to create root
w/ uid=0

Thanks ...

--
best regards,