[Samba] Cannot connect MacOSX domain member to PDC

Huyler, Christopher M CHRISTOPHER.HUYLER at ca.com
Tue May 18 18:29:07 GMT 2004

There are several things wrong with your smb.conf file...

First, you should not have a netbios name and a workgroup with the same
name...I think you may be confusing yourself.  There is nothing wrong
with it, but I don't think that is what you intend.  Think of the
workgroup as the domain name and the netbios name as the machine name.

Your PDC Solaris machine should at least have the following:
(substitute HOME for your preferred domain name)

netbios name = Sun280
workgroup = HOME
security = domain
domain logons = Yes
domain master = Yes
preferred master = Yes
encrypt passwords = yes

And your domain member OSX machine should AT LEAST have the following:
(substitute HOME for the domain name you used above)

netbios name = G5server
workgroup = HOME
security = domain
domain logons = No
domain master = No
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = Sun280

Once you set all that up you should be able to simply call:

net join -S Sun280 -U username%password

You do not need to specify both the server name and ip address, and it
will pick up the workgroup/domain from the server which will be the same
as "HOME" in the above examples anyway.  The username and password
should be of an account that has privileges to add machines to the
domain.

Also, depending on your PDC settings, you may have to create a machine
account before running "net join...".

~ Chris