[Samba] Windows XP Pro, file permissions...

Mike Cisar mlists at starmania.net
Sat May 15 16:59:39 GMT 2004

Don't know if this issue is Windows XP specific, or whether it's Samba
that's contributing to the problem.  Running Samba 3.0.3 as a PDC on a
network of 5 Windows XP Pro workstations.  They have their "important" data
stored in a file share on the server, permissions set for all of them to
access no problem.

They each also have a shared documents directory on their individual PC, and
this is where the problems are arising.  User A will create a document in
Word or Excel and save it to their shared document directory, no problem.
But if they move it to user B's shared document directory, in the process it
becomes read-only.  Likewise if User A creates a new document in User B's
shared directory... User A has full access, but User B is read-only.

Is there any way (either through permissions somehow in Samba, or through
permissions on the windows directory itself) that this problem can be
resolved.  Although they all have permissions to change file permissions,
they are getting agrivated (sp?) that they have to do it each and every time
they go to open a file.

I did see that there was mention in another thread of permissions issues
with Office applications, but I'm not sure if this is the same issue or not,
since I'm dealing with shares on the workstations and not on the server.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,