[Samba] FYI - Why RPMs are important

Angel Galindo Muñoz agalindo at ub.edu
Fri May 14 07:13:49 GMT 2004

	Hi, Josh!

	I think there's a workaround to avoid using RPMs. When you do "smb
restart" you are doing "smb stop" and "smb start", and that closes alls
client connections, so you've got to stop service anyway. That's it:

	- Compile and install samba with a prefix like "/opt/samba-x.y.z"
	- ln -s /opt/samba-x.y.z /opt/samba
	- Set your new initscript like "/etc/init.d/samba" , which uses your
new path (/opt/samba) and use it to define the passes through every run
level.
	- Set the appropiate environment variables to your scripts to avoid
using the ones are already working (/usr/bin or whatever)
(PATH=/opt/samba/bin:$PATH , for example)
	- /etc/init.d/smb stop
	- /etc/init.d/samba start
	- rpm -e samba* (do it after, once the new version works fine, if you
prefer)

	You can test it before in your development servers, something like this
should do the work for you. Once you've done it this way you will be
able to compile newer versions with previx = /opt/samba-x'.y'.z' and the
restart will be just:

#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/samba stop
rm /opt/samba
ln -s /opt/samba-x'.y'.z' /opt
/etc/init.d/samba stop

	Theese both procedures are totally scriptable and has so few impact in
you HA environment like using RPMs, with the goody of being using
anytime the version that you prefer, independently of which one is RPM
packed by your distro.

	Hope it helps!

--
Angel Galindo Muñoz