[Samba] smbldap: odd ownership of un-tarred files

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Wed May 12 07:36:40 GMT 2004

tar files hold onto the UID/GID that owned the files upon tarring. Samba
always untar's on my systems as UID 783, presumably because someone (but
WHO?) who puts together the Samba packages is UID 783 on the system on
which the tar's are built.

Unless you are answering a more complicated question that I can't seem to
grasp at the moment, in which case, forgive me.

|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  |  | Ryan Novosielski - Jr. UNIX Systems Admin
|$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _|  | novosirj at umdnj.edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent. | IST/ACS - NJMS Medical Science Bldg - C630