[Samba] Samba PDC change password issue

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Tue May 11 23:02:37 GMT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Ron Liu wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I had samba PDC (Version 2.2.7a) running on RH 9.0 ( 2.4.20-8 #1). There are
> about 50+ win2k PCs and member servers. Everything has been working nicely
> for almost 6 month untill recently. I noticed that recently when users try
> to change domain password by Ctrl-Alt-Del from win2k wkstation, the windows
> will give an error message saying "The system cannot change your password
> now because the domain mydomain is not available", However, the password
> actually does changed regardless the error message. It seems, there is no
> problem in login, accessing network resources etc. However, the error
> message is irritating, and I do see some error messages on the samba server
> log. It happens to all the users as far as I know.

If you had read the discussions here in recent days, you would have
known that:

* After applying the recent Microsoft patches, you can no longer change
your password using CTRL-ALT-DEL

and that:

* Samba 2.2.9 and 3.0.4 were just released to resolve this issue.

then downloading and installing these latest versions.

And please, before posting, search thru the archives to see if your
question has been asked -- and answered -- first. I don't mean to flame
you, I want you to understand that failure to do your homework will
make everyone ignore you. If you don't have time to search the
archives, I'm sorry, but people won't be very willing to help.

Hope this helps.

--Jonathan Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.