[Samba] Re: Problem upgrading to 3.0.4 and ArcServe

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Tue May 11 16:39:35 GMT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Dan Shadix wrote:

> On Monday 10 May 2004 08:00 pm, Guillermo Borgobello wrote:
> > > Since I had upgraded from Samba 3.0.0 to 3.0.4
> > > I have problems with ArcServe to connect to the
> > > share.
> > > Arcserve is running on a NT 4.0 box, everytime
> > > I try to connect to the samba share it says me
> > > "authenticacion failed". When I browse the share
> > > from windows explorer I have not problems.
> >
> > Sorry, the ArcServe says me "access denied"
> >
> > Guillermo
>
> Are you logged in as the ArcServe user when you test it manually?

To clarify: ArcServe may be running under different credentials than
the user you are logged in as on the NT 4.0 box.

It's common for backup software to run or have services running under
alternate credentials; this allows non-administrators to perform backup
and restore operations.

Make sure that the username ArcServe is using has permissions on your
Samba box. To find out what this is, you can go to your Services
control panel applet, and look at the startup properties for the
ArcServe services, or if an event in your task scheduler starts
ArcServe, check the credentials there.

That reminds me of another thing: I've found that on Windows NT 4.0,
when changing automatically from daylight to standard time or vice
versa, it is often necessary to re-enter the passwords for each event
in the task scheduler. A very strange bug, but a bug nonetheless.

--Jonathan Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.