[Fwd: Re: [Samba] Windows XP client - intermittent 'network name cannot befound' loading profile]

Clint Sharp clint at typhoon.org
Tue May 11 07:03:56 GMT 2004

Michael Vermaes wrote:

>Doesn't really resolve the issue, but in my case the problem went away
>when using physical machines rather than virtual machines. The
>environments are identical - RH ES 3.0 with Windows XP sp1a client (no
>hotfixes or GPO settings applied). Thanks for everyone's help.

Michael,

Did you do a re-install of the OS when you installed on a new physical
machine rather than virtual machine?  I'm almost positive this is a
result of something that's done to the OS post installation, as I'm able
to reproduce this reliably on only certain machines that have been
derived somehow from our standard XP image.  Our standard XP image does
not share this problem.  I'm hoping someone can help us narrow down what
the root cause of this behavior is so we can get it added to a FAQ or
possibly the HOWTO.  Anyone else have any other ideas?

Clint