[Samba] Script repository?

RRuegner robert at ruegner.org
Thu May 6 23:17:44 GMT 2004

Jonathan Johnson schrieb:

> On Fri, 7 May 2004, RRuegner wrote:
>

>>sorry if you have samba loaded from a linux distro, you have enough
>>examples for a normal setup included, what description do you need for
>>i.e useradd , man useradd tells you everything you need.
>>for a standart setup you only need normal linux system funktions
>>no magic is here, and no special scripting.
>>This is another case i. example with ldap , but you will find
>>examples in the sources too, what more do you need?
>

> Not every distro comes with example scripts. Some of the native *nix
> tools don't provide exactly the behaviour that Samba expects.
>

>>add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
>>delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
>>add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd -r %g
>>delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
>>add user to group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -a %u %g
>>delete user from group script = /usr/bin/gpasswd -d %u %g
>>set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g '%g' '%u'
>>
>>see here for suse 9 linux , all normal system parameters with expansion
>>from samba which you can find in man smb.conf
>>

> It's great that SuSE 9 provides scripts and docs, but not every distro
> is so thoughtful. :-)
>

>>dont forget tweaking setups is one of the great thing with open source,
>>it pushed my computer knowledge , in my opinion it is not very
>>usefull setting up server without having understand how it works ( this
>>is the way of many so called ms certfullieifhavecreatedtheinternetadmins
>>, sorry for the others which exist too )
>>play with the code ask for help , have fun , have community , struggle
>>with users and coders this is what  open source made off
>>and makes it stronger than everything others
>

> Please don't take this as a personal attack, but I'd like to point out
> that you started with "you have enough examples for a normal setup
> included.." then finish off with "tweaking setups is one of the great
> thing with open source."
>
> That's exactly what I wanted to do by suggesting a "Samba Script
> Repository." Everyone will find some need to tweak and adjust their
> scripts since it's not one-size-fits-all. If you're looking for that
> custom tweak, why not be able to see if someone else has already done
> it? Not all of us are not scripting experts. This is what's great about
> Samba -- rather than assuming or forcing you to do something a certain
> way, the Samba team has, by providing the *script= options in smb.conf,
> allowed you to do it your way.
>
> I just discovered that /usr/bin/gpasswd exists on my system. Would have
> been nice if somewhere in the documentation it told me that it's what I
> want to use for "add user script" and "delete user script"; this is the
> first I've EVER heard of this utility, so a big thank-you goes out
> to Robert.
>
> --Jonathan Johnson
> Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
> jon at sutinen.com

no, problem at all
if you wanna setup a repository for sripts and examples just do it
but if you ask on this list you will get any script you might need *g
but for sure it would nice to see a big example page with different
solutions , i would read it at once *g
dont forget some of this parameters are new to version samba 3 which
is also very new, so its normal many users dont know the new features
i have setup now many smb pdc with different backends , over vpns and
trusts , with bdc etc.
I must say samba 3 can be a complete nt4 server pdc with all features
are needed in a prof. setup. ( after all i earn my bread with it )
At this time every problem could be solved with phantasie ,googling and
last but not leasst with many feeware which was written by talented
windows admins coders and users.
I never missed the active directory, i think the most stuff can be
solved with ldap.
ldap is my bleeding edge, i have to invest more time on it.
Some doks with ldap scripts , include how to setup global adressbook
with samba and postfix cyrus amavis hylafax procmail apache proftp
would make me veryyyyyyyyyyyyy happy.
it would be nice to make a uni-distro with a gui for such a uniserver,
which works just out of the box, cause for now its a patchwork working.

Best Regards from munich bavaria