[Samba] Samba without netbios/WINS

Ron Carver rcarver at www.IN.gov
Tue May 4 21:42:12 GMT 2004

I am running samba (2.2.7a) on a solaris box on a network seperate from
our windows clients.  (different subnet)  We have a mix of Win2k and
winXP clients that are connecting to it.

I recently upgraded from NT 4.0 domains to active directory on Win2K
servers, and I would like to completely do away with netbios and WINS.
The problem is getting clients to connect to the samba server.  I have
tried disabling wins in the config, and proxying DNS, and disabling
netbios over tcp.  when I do that I cannot find or connect to the samba
server.

they are also using different methods of authentication. (AD for the
windows domain, LDAP for the unix servers)  I am in the process of
moving all authentication to AD, but its not near done yet.

The question is...

Can the 2.2 series support DNS only (no wins or netbios)?
If so, must I be running DDNS?
If 2.2 cannot do it, can the 3.0.X series?  and what are the problems
with upgrading?  (my samba install is standard, /usr/local/samba)

--
Ron Carver

System Administrator
www.IN.gov
rcarver at www.IN.gov
Phone: 317-234-2575
Fax: 317-233-2011

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This E-mail and any attachments are confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, you do not have permission to disclose, copy, distribute, or open any attachments.  If you have received this E-mail
in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system.
Thank you.
accessIndiana, MyLocal.IN.gov, CivicNet