[Samba] auto-mounting domain shares after logging onto Linux Domain Member

Kevin Weslowski kweslowski at mcnairbd.com
Tue May 4 15:38:56 GMT 2004

Hello,

I'm approaching my goal of emulating an NT Domain Member with a Linux
Domain Member...there's just one more slight convenience I'd like to
add:

When a user logs in on my (Fedora) Linux Domain Member as a member of
the domain, I'd like to automatically mount all domain shares (using
smbmount) using a script.  The only way I know how to do this now is to
use a credentials file as an option for smbmount, but I'd like to remove
the need for a credentials file and (somehow??) get smbmount to mount
the shares using the username/password the user just entered upon
logging in.

Just as background, the reason why I'd like to do this is to make it
easy for the user to find a place on the network to save files (i.e.
without the need for a manual call to smbmount every time the user wants
to do this).

Anyone know if this is possible? Been done?

Kevin