[Samba] Windows XP client - intermittent 'network name cannotbefound' loading profile

Michael Vermaes michaelv at realcognita.com
Tue May 4 08:37:59 GMT 2004

John, I have tried the suggestions you provided. I have setup Dynamic
DNS as per the Samba 3 By Example book and this is all updating
correctly. I have run the validation steps indicated in the book and all
names are resolvable and reachable via hosts, DNS and WINS.

I am not sure why winbind would need to be turned off, but seeing as I
do not need that currently, I have tried disabling it; the problem
remains.

The profile directory attributes are:

drwxrwxr-x    7 root     dusers       4096 May  3 10:05 .
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Mar 30 15:14 ..

and the share definition from smb.conf is:

[Profiles]
   path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
   readonly = no
   create mask = 0600
   directory mask = 0700
   browseable = no
#   guest ok = yes
   csc policy = disable
   profile acls = yes
#   nt acl support = no

I have enabled the GPO settings:

Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders

and

Add the Administrators security group to roaming user profiles

on the Windows XP client.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.