[Samba] %S not resolving in smb.conf file

Tim Booher tbbooher at cox.net
Tue May 4 04:08:20 GMT 2004

Hey all,

Everyone (esp. Vladimir Atanaskovik, Joe Cipale, and Eric Johnson) has been
most helpful, but I am still struggling with an annoying issue. I have the
following smb.conf file:

[global]
workgroup = archenland
netbios name = agamemnon
security = share
printcap name = cups
disable spoolss = Yes
show add printer wizard = No
printing = cups
encrypt password = Yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

[homes]
valid users = %S
read only = No
browseable = No

[test]
path = /home/test
valid users = tim
read only = No
writeable = Yes

Now I can't get to the \\agamemnon\tim directory when I am logged in as user
'tim', I can get to the test share. If I swap out the %S for a hard-coded
'tim' like

[homes]
valid users = tim
read only = No
browseable = No

Then I can access the directory easily.

Any thoughts why %S is not resolving? is there anyway to echo these
variables (other than putting them in a comment = %S in a share)

Thanks,

Tim