[Samba] Windows XP client - intermittent 'network name cannot befound' loading profile

Michael Vermaes michaelv at realcognita.com
Mon May 3 04:33:51 GMT 2004

Thanks for the quick reply John. I tried setting the local GPO option as
described in the article, but the problem still occurs. The issue
described in the article is not exactly what I am experiencing - the
event id is 1521. The permissions of the profile on the server are
correct after it is created:

[root at ldap profiles]# ls -la
total 6352
drwxrwxr-x    7 root     dusers       4096 May  3 10:05 .
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Mar 30 15:14 ..
drwx------   13 michaelv dusers       4096 May  3 11:45
michaelv            <=======

where dusers is mapped to the "Domain Users" Windows group with net
groupmap.

The ownership of the profile on the Windows XP client also appears to be
correct.

I would expect the problem described in the article to be a more
consistently occurring error - my problem is seemingly random, and
usually works after leaving the client for a long period of time, or
restarting it.

I have tried experimenting with some of the other GPO settings on the
client, and also setting the "profile acls = yes" option in the
[Profiles] section of smb.conf, but the problem remains.

Thanks for any additional help.