[Samba] windows password longer than 8 chars will not work

Tony Wallace hushp1pt at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 23:09:39 GMT 2004

Hello,,

Is there anything I can do to our Samba servers to make Windows
passwords longer than 8 characters work?  Thanks.

Our Samba servers use SERVER security, and authenticate against the
same
Windows 2K logon server (PDC) that serves all our Windows 2K & XP
desktops.  Any of us with a Windows network password less than or equal
to 8 characters long can mount the Samba shares seamlessly, just like
any Windows file server.  However, if you set your Windows password
longer than 8 characters, Samba authentication always fails.

In general, we know that both Windows and Samba can use longer
passwords-  the problem occurs when the Windows desktop client tries to
initiate a connection to the Samba server. Passwords longer than 8 just
don't get transferred correctly from client to server, or so it seems.

Samba server details below-

Solaris 8/ SPARC

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -V
Version 2.2.8a
(from sunfreeware.com)

[global]
        workgroup = ECOMMERCE
        netbios name = PHANTOM2
        security = SERVER
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = ben_or_pdc
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        username map = /usr/local/samba/private/users.map
        log level = 2
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/logs/log:%m:%I
        max log size = 100
        debug pid = Yes
        debug uid = Yes
        load printers = No
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 206.67.210.5
        hosts allow =
127.0.0.1,206.67.210.,192.168.53.,10.222.7.,10.222.8.
        case sensitive = Yes
        map archive = No

Tony