[Samba] winbindd logon still requires Unix user id

Brett Stevens brett.stevens at hubbub.com.au
Wed Mar 31 23:25:34 GMT 2004

If you are trying to authenticate against Active Director, try the following

Change security to ADS
Remove auth methods
Add a realm = that equals your ad domain name such as
this.domain.com.whatever

Check your /etc/krb5.conf
It should have at a minimum

[libdefaults]
        default_realm = THIS.DOMAIN.COM.WHATEVER

[realms]
        THIS.DOMAIN.COM.WHATEVER = {
                kdc = ip.of.your.ad
#               admin_server = ip.of.your.ad
#               passwd_server = ip.of.your.ad
        }
[domain_realm]
        .this.domain.com.whatever = THIS.DOMAIN.COM.WHATEVER
        this.domain.com.whatever = THIS.DOMAIN.COM.WHATEVER

[logging]
        default = SYSLOG:NOTICE:DAEMON
        kdc = FILE:/var/log/kdc.log
        kadmind = FILE:/var/log/kadmind.log

[appdefaults]
        pam = {
                ticket_lifetime = 36000
                renew_lifetime = 36000
                forwardable = true
                retain_after_close = false
                debug = true

Also check your /etc/nsswitch
 it should have the passwd and the group with
Files winbind

Good luck

Brett Stevens