[Samba] winbindd/Samba3 on RHEL 3.0

Chris Purcell redhat at cjp.us
Thu Mar 25 21:55:27 GMT 2004

Samba 3.0.2
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 3.0

I'm trying to set up winbind and all of the wbinfo commands are failing.
I was able to join the domain with this command...

root at tux samba# net join -S typhoon -U Administrator
Administrator password:
[2004/03/25 16:53:46, 0] libads/kerberos.c:ads_kinit_password(133)
  kerberos_kinit_password Administrator at foo.org failed: Cannot find KDC
for requested realm
Joined domain FOO.

...but all of the wbinfo commands fail..

root at tux samba# wbinfo -u
Error looking up domain users

root at tux samba# wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed
error code was NT_STATUS_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_NOT_FOUND (0xc0000233)
Could not check secret

root at tux samba# wbinfo -a jdoe%password
plaintext password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)
error messsage was: No such user
Could not authenticate user jdoe%password with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS (0xc000005e)
error messsage was: No logon servers
Could not authenticate user jdoe with challenge/response

getent passwd and getent group DO work though.

I've done this before in the past on Red Hat 9 machines and it worked
everytime.   Maybe this problem has something to do with the fact that
this server is on a different subnet from the domain controllers?

Thanks,
Chris