[Samba] Changing 'winbind use default domain' to yes breaks group share permissions

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Thu Mar 25 15:02:23 GMT 2004

In order to support another project which I wanted to use winbind authentication for, I had to turn 'winbind use default domain' on. This seems to have disabled my ability to set group permissions on a share.

My windbind separator is '-'.

Before, I would give a group access to a share by putting '@DOMAIN-Group Name' in the list of valid users for the share. After setting use default domain this quit working, so I changed to '@Group Name'. This also does not work. Users in the group who attempt to connect to the share throw the following error in log.smbd:

user 'username' (from session setup) not permitted to access this share (Sharename).

If I add each user belonging to a group to the valid users list, they are able to access the share but none of the files (the ACL's reflect permissions for the group).

What am I doing wrong?

-Will

PS The reason I am using 'winbind use default domain' is that I am trying to support domain-account-authenticated access to cvs via ssh. Using 'DOMAIN-username' in the CVSROOT does not seem to work, although the users can access ssh manually just fine.

Will Saxon
Systems Programmer - Network Services
Department of Housing and Residence Education
University of Florida
Email: wills at housing.ufl.edu
Phone: (352) 392-2171 x10148