[Samba] 'smbclient' fails on server

jegley at cox.net jegley at cox.net
Wed Mar 24 05:01:16 GMT 2004

Newbie. Been trying to solve this for days.

'smbclient -L SERVERNAME'

fails.
I have checked   and see no problem here. Tried ethereal
(listening on 137, 138, 139, and 445), nothing other than
some broadcasts from my W2K machines and a broadcast
announcement from the server.

I did notice this in the nmbd.log

Samba name server ATHLON1 is now a local master browser for
workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.2.157

it seems like the subnet should end in 255, no? But I
cannot determine from where it is picking this up. As I
said I've checked lmhosts, hosts, resolv.conf.

My smb.conf is short, so I will include it here.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/03/22 20:52:15

# Global parameters
[global]
        interfaces = eth0, lo, 192.168.2.157/255.255.255.0
        security = SHARE
        guest account = pcguest
        log level = 10
        log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
        dns proxy = No
        ldap ssl = no
        hosts allow = 192.168.., 127.
        hosts deny = ALL

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0750

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

The specific return is:

athlon1:/usr/local/samba/lib # smbclient -L athlon1
session request to ATHLON1 failed (Call returned zero bytes
(EOF))
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Call returned zero
bytes (EOF))
athlon1:/usr/local/samba/lib #

Samba version 3.0.2a
Linux kernel: 2.4.21-199