[Samba] Licensing issues with MS Domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 23 22:26:03 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 07:54, mo dela wrote:
> I read many posts from the archives but could not find the answer to my
> question. So here goes:
>
> I need to run a Samba installation on a RH9 Linux server. I have done such
> installation before and was succesful at it. Our main network is W2K based
> and users all have accounts in the domain. With great difficulties, I
> convinced the MS Net Admin to create an entry for my Samba server in the
> Domain so that I could use Domain Authentication.
>
> As soon as users started to map their Linux drives (authenticating to the
> domain), the domain controller started to complain about licensing issues.
> The net Admin was quick on the switch and swiftly removed my server from the
> domain, arguing that it violates the licensing agreement.
>
> Questions are:
>
> Is there really an issue with licensing and Samba?

Samba will require a client access licence, like any MS server or
workstation would.

> Can we still be in the Domain and use the domain for authentication without
> promtping warnings about licences?

I have never seen licence warnings like that - you will need to provide
us with more information on what licencing modal you have selected, and
how you have configured Microsoft's licence management software.  (Which
is optional, I understand, but MS makes it easier to track things that
way).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org