[Samba] winbind, getent fails

Reggie Nalder escualawork at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 00:39:57 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am having a problem that seems to have plagued quite
a few people on the list,
yet I have been unable to resolve the issue by making
any of the suggested changes.

I am trying to get winbind to work, and have been able
to get wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g
to list the users and groups from the NT domain.
wbinfo -t returns secret is good.

I have shut down the nscd, but this has not helped. I
am running SuSE Linux Enterprise
Server 7 with  Samba version 2.2.8a.

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide on this
issue.

Are there any special settings for password or shadow
files ? A known smb.conf configuration
that should work ?

Also, do I need to start smbd or just nmbd?

Thanks