[Samba] PRINTING CUPS on Samba 3.0 - PS Driver upload

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 22 11:36:40 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 19:19, Herbert FRIEDL wrote:
> Dear all
>
> samba 3.0.2pre1-1
> cups 1.1.20
>
> i am testing the CUPS printing on Samba 3.0.2pre1-1  and so far we have
> a good impression about the system
> We want to use only Postscript for our printers.
>
> The cupsaddsmb tool works great and printing with the cups driver is
> fine.
> The Add Printer Wizard for uploading vendor specific for the PCL 5
> drivers is working fine and printing is working.
>
> I have some trouble with the vendor specific Post script drivers.
>
> Uploading the Postscript drivers is OK but when we want to print
> something on the  printers (hp2280, hp2300)
> the printer only prints the prostscript definition text and produces
> tons of pages.

The problem is, the HP (and most other) postscript drivers output a PCL
header above their postscript.  CUPS doesn't think it's postscript then,
and things go downhill from there.

Only the CUPS and potentially the adobe drivers gets this right, but I
have had other nasty problems with the CUPS drivers.

> The output file in /var/spool/cups looks ok for a postscript printer.
>
> I am a bit confused because postscript printing is working for other
> printers like canon-ir5000.

It probably puts out real postscript (as far as CUPS is concerned).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net