[Samba] Samba 3.0.2 NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Charles Hamel hamelc at pingouin.ca
Thu Mar 18 20:43:32 GMT 2004

Hi

I have a Samba 3.0.2 PDC running on Fedora Core 1. I use the ldapsam backend.
I recently migrated the users/machines from my old NT4 server, everything went
fine, the users can Log in to the new PDC (same domain name) and access
ressources on the PDC itself. My problem arises when a client (W2K SP2) tries
to access a ressource on another W2K client, I get an authentification dialog
before browsing the machine itself. The machines affected by this problem are
also giving me an ACCESS DENIED error when I try to get their infos using the
NT Server Manager (logged in as Administrator on the domain). I also get a
similar error when I try to access that same machine using a linux client :
smbclient //MACHINE/C$ -UAdministrator%password -d 5 i get this error :

SPENGO login failed: Logon failure
lang_tdb_init: /usr/lib/samba/en_US.UTF-8.msg: No such file or directory
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

I found a solution for this problem, but it is hardly a good one in my
situation. I just have to re-join the domain (Switching to workground, reboot,
join domain, reboot) after that the machine is accessible. But Windows is
acting strange and is creating a new profile (USERNAME.DOMAIN) so the userdata
is lost (document, emails etc...). This is why it is not a good solution since
I have 100 users.

Is this a specific bug to Samba 3.0.2 ? As anyone had a similar problem ? Is
there a quick way to make 100 machine rejoin the domain easily ?

Thank you very much
Charles