[Samba] net testjoin question

Allan Peda pedaa at mail.rockefeller.edu
Thu Mar 18 19:50:00 GMT 2004

Hi:

I had a problem joining a (red hat 8) machine (client) to our campus
wide domain.  Unfortunately I am in the dark as to many of the details
of this network design here. So I am trying to back out some details.

One machine had no problem joining the domain.  Both are almost
identically set up (compiled samba 3.0.2a).  The other resisted a
sucessful join until I added "-S" to the net command.

Both had the same Wins servers, PDC in smb.conf.  Files /etc/resolv.conf
/etc/hosts, netmask.  I guessed at the "-S" (target) server name from
the debugging output from the good client, which got a positive response
from the associated IP.

My Question:
===========
Can I, and if so, where would I, add this server (poseiden) to a config
file  so that I have no need to specify it on the "net join" command
line (with -S)?

Here is an excerpt from what I am talking about:

[root at zaray66 root]# vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
[root at zaray66 root]# net rpc testjoin -U admin
Unable to find a suitable server
Join to domain 'ROCKEFELLERNT' is not valid

[root at zaray66 root]# net rpc testjoin -U admin -S poseiden
Join to 'ROCKEFELLERNT' is OK

Thanks

--
Allan Peda