[Samba] Roaming profiles on a small network

Matt Janes matthew_janes at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 14 13:20:22 GMT 2004

Hi list,

I intend to run an old pentium 133 as a linux-based fileserver on my home
network (I have to use windows for my main machine and laptop!)  Im having
great diffiuculty synching the data, email, etc on my laptop and desktop, so
I thought I might configure samba to act as a DC and use roaming profiles to
make sure that my data is always synched.  My question is this: is it worth
the effort?  Do you have any experience of doing so?  Im not talking about a
huge network here, literally just 2 machines.  Obviously I couldnt log onto
both machines at once, and Id have to be sure to log on and off with the
laptop after a trip away from base so as to upload all relevant data to the
server before logging onto to the desktop.

Im not asking for actual technical help (im a linux/samba newbie, just in
case that wasnt obvious ;-) ), but more your thoughts on whether this would
be feasible/suitable

TIA

Matt