[Samba] Trouble mounting a windows share from Linux

Stefan Günther SMGuenther at web.de
Thu Mar 11 20:04:37 GMT 2004

> Using smbmount fails.  I am unsure how to install smbmnt as suid root:

chmod u+s /usr/bin/smbmount

Hm, suid root -not a really good idea ...

>  [root at sambaclient1 root]# smbmount //testtech/shawn /home/shawn/mnt
> username=shawn uid=root gid=root fmask=0755 gmask=0755 workgroup=tech rw
> Password:
> 4606: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
> SMB connection failed
> --
Did you add root to smbpasswd? Maybe the reason,why it fails.

Is it really necessary that your user are able to mount the shares manually or is it acceptable for you that
the user shares are mounted automatically when the computer starts?
If second option is ok for you, you shoudl have a look at how SuSE deals with this problem. SuSE uses a
file called smbfstab in /etc/samba:

# service       moint-point     options

;//fjall/test   /data/test      username=tridge,password=foobar

This file is used for a start script (/etc/init.d/smbfs) which mounts all smb filesystems during system
start.

Hope that helps a bit,

Stefan

in-put GbR - Das Linux-Systemhaus