[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Mar 10 15:32:54 GMT 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Graham Leggett wrote:

> RRuegner wrote:
>
> > Hi, yes the tools should be better described as they are in the smb sources
> > i found it very hard at my first setup ldap smb.
> > On the other Hand many setups are thinkable with ldap, a description
> > to the ldap populate is only one way  ( fast , working )
> > to come to a working smb ldap pdc
>
> The LDAP capability is very useful, which is why I am trying to solve
> the problems, but the lack of usability is a complete showstopper. I
> cannot install a system that if something goes wrong in six months time,
> nobody will have a clue on how to fix it.

This is completely correct. It took me 6 weeks to document, test, and
validate Chapter 6 of "Samba-3 by Example" - and it took 50 or so pages to
sufficiently describe the steps that must be followed.

While entirely essential, documentation that is logical, comprehensive and
comprehendable is not a trivial process.

Please be patient. This is being addressed. The entire book "Samba-3 by
Example" will be open sourced soon.

> I have been looking at the smbldap-tools package, and cannot believe at
> how difficult it is to set up. Most of the information in the
> smbldap_conf.pm file is already specified in the smb.conf file - this
> means that down the line when somebody else changes smb.conf, things
> will stop working, and they won't know why.
>
> The functionality provided by smbldap-tools should be built into Samba
> from scratch, I don't see why there is such a need to jump through hoops
> like this.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra