[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Wed Mar 10 15:03:58 GMT 2004

RRuegner wrote:

> Hi, yes the tools should be better described as they are in the smb sources
> i found it very hard at my first setup ldap smb.
> On the other Hand many setups are thinkable with ldap, a description
> to the ldap populate is only one way  ( fast , working )
> to come to a working smb ldap pdc

The LDAP capability is very useful, which is why I am trying to solve
the problems, but the lack of usability is a complete showstopper. I
cannot install a system that if something goes wrong in six months time,
nobody will have a clue on how to fix it.

I have been looking at the smbldap-tools package, and cannot believe at
how difficult it is to set up. Most of the information in the
smbldap_conf.pm file is already specified in the smb.conf file - this
means that down the line when somebody else changes smb.conf, things
will stop working, and they won't know why.

The functionality provided by smbldap-tools should be built into Samba
from scratch, I don't see why there is such a need to jump through hoops
like this.

Regards,
Graham