[Samba] Samba Copy Speed

Edward Mann ed.mann at choicepoint.com
Tue Mar 9 18:50:18 GMT 2004

Hello Everyone,

I have been working with two samba servers and i am having problems with
the copy speed that i am getting out of the boxes. This is my setup.

Dell 450MHZ
128 Mem
2 qlogic fiber cards
1.6T software raid 5/LVM
Netgear 10/100 @ 100FD
RedHat 7.3
samba 3.0.2a
another box is a

Compaq 2500 200MHZ
32 Mem
12G software RAID 0 3 drives
Intel Pro 100 @ 100FD
Debian 3.0
Samba 2.2.8a-0.1 for Debian

I can copy  a 626.9 MB file from Dell box to the Compaq via ftp and get
3-4 MB/s NFS i get 4-5 MB/s Samba i am getting 1.8-2.0 MB/s. I have
tried several options in the config file on the samba server and nothing
seems to want to speed this thing up. Here is the config file that i am
using
[global]
        workgroup = edtopia
        server string = Samba Server
        security = DOMAIN
        update encrypted = Yes
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        password server = master
        username map = /etc/samba/users.map
        log level = 5
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        announce version = 5.0
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        idmap uid = 10000-40000
        idmap gid = 10000-40000
        template shell = /bin/bash
        winbind separator = +
        winbind cache time = 60
        inherit permissions = Yes

[backup]
        comment = Backup Service
        path = /backup
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

Mount command on machine is
mount -t smbfs -o username=edmann,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 //trinity/backup
/smb

Any advice on speeding this up. The windows servers that we have are
doing faster transfers. I need to pull between 50-120Gig files off my
samba server and at this speed it is making me look bad.

Thanks for any help.