AW: [Samba] WinXP Profiles

Stumpfl Markus htl.traun.kustos at eduhi.at
Tue Mar 9 06:03:41 GMT 2004

Create a so called mandatory profile:
Copy you "perfect" user profile into a new directory (of course in the
"profiles" path) with the name 'users.man' and rename the 'ntuser.dat'
to 'ntuser.man'.
And of course you have to change the smb.conf like
'logon path = \\%L\profiles\users.man'

Now the users CAN configure the desktop and everything but it will not
be saved!
It's working perfectly for me (up to now at least :-))

Beware though: I don't know what happens with the "My Documents" Folder,
so I would let it point into the 'real' users home directory. In Windows
I've created the profile it should look like, pointed the Outlook-file
and the home-dir. to the users path (i.e. 'z:'), copied this profile
onto the server and now hopefully all important data will be stored,
except the profile.

cheers

Markus