[Samba] Printing to non-raw cups cue

Anders Litzell lists at litzell.se
Mon Mar 8 14:45:37 GMT 2004

Hi y'all,

The deal is:

RH9 server running samba-3.0.2a-1

Two printers (HP OfficeJet K80 and PhotoSmart P1000) connected to a
JetDirect 500X

clients running XP or 2K

OfficeJet set up with a raw cups cue and point-to-print with server-
hosted drivers. Works like a charm!

PROBLEM:
Photosmart won't do the same, since installing the vendor drivers
over RCP/APW ends with errors and accessing the printer from a client
causes exceptions right and left and protection fault 0x0005 I take
it it's the SD/CF digital card drivers in the printer that mess
things up.
SO I got a CUPS cue up and running with foomatic 3, doing all the
processing in the server, and so I can print from linux, but how can
I print to this cue from win32? Windows needs a driver of some kind,
and I'm a bit stumped.

I'd rather not have to go IPP, surely there's a way to dance around
this problem.

Appreciate your help,

/ Anders