[Samba] NT4 Migration Question

Beast indorama at rad.net.id
Mon Mar 8 06:18:28 GMT 2004

* John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> nulis:

> > 2. Has anyone used UPromote, which claims to do be able to demote an NT4
> > BDC to a member server without reinstalling the OS? (See
> > http://utools.com/UPromote.asp for more info.)
>
> That's a neat tool. It looks like it will permit you to demote the BDC to
> a Stand-Alone server, but be careful! You may find that the vertical
> application requires support for certain protocols that may not be
> supported by a Samba domain controller.

What a coincident.
I'm just using this tools to demote existing NT DC just because of it contains many banking apps from vendor which was not so easy to reinstall at the same time. It was working fine till now, however if you can reinstall the DC, then just reinstall it. It would be clean solution.

Once you've demote to stand alone, all (existing) domain users are become local users and any shares will need to be re-assigned.
Also in server manager, the machine will appear as Win NT 4 workstation instead of server.

--beast