[Samba] Samba 3 "public" Access

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 4 23:09:25 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 09:47, Jason McCormick wrote:
>   What are the ramifications of changing security = share from sercurity =
> ads ?  I was using security = domain before.  Looking at the docs/manpages
> I'm unclear how other shares will be affected (for the sections that match
> UNIX == Windows for IT staff).  From reading the manpage, it sounds like
> if guest ok = yes then it skips checking, but does it fall back to ADS if
> there's no guest ok directive?

Ok, what has happened here is that in Samba 2.2, if a user logged in
with valid domain credentials, and did not have an account on the
system, they were mapped to a 'guest' account.  This is not possible in
3.0 (and I think it was a bad idea in the first place).

So, the alternative for you is to create a new server (or more to the
point, a virtual server configuration) that is in 'security=share' (so
the remote clients never attempt a user/password login) and has 'guest
ok' (or even beter 'guest only') set, so that all connections are
treated as guest, with no questions asked.

include = smb.conf.%L is your freind - but watch out, for this to work
you must set 'smb ports = 139' or we might not get our 'called name' on
which we base that.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au