[Samba] User authentication

Alexander Goeres agoeres at lieblinx.net
Mon Mar 1 16:41:30 GMT 2004

Am Montag, 1. März 2004 16:53 schrieb Daniel Kiss:
> Hi All,

Hi Dan

> I would like to know how I should configure samba to use the standard linux
> user accounts and passwords for user authentication instead of those in the
> smbpasswd file?
>
> Thank you,
> 	Dan

According to the HowTo the samba users have to exist twice:

First in the linux authentication.
Second in the file created with smbpasswd.

To get both in sync you have to use the diverse config directives:
add user script
add group script
add user to group script
set primary group script
a.s.o.

Adding a user to the samba password file who doesn't exist in the /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow will fail.. (I tried that often enough..:-)). Also it won't
work for samba if the users only reside in the standard linux authentication
mechanism.

Might be that it's different if you use NIS or LDAP...

Alexander
agoeres _at_ lieblinx.net
tel.: +49 (0)30 / 61 20 26 87
fax: +49 (0)30 / 61 20 26 89