[Samba] Re: want to ban XP Home Edition

Michal Kurowski mkur at poczta.gazeta.pl
Wed Jun 30 02:06:29 GMT 2004

Malcolm Baldridge [google at paypc.com] wrote:

> Sounds like an excellent excuse to fire up the smb-aware tcpdump tool and
> look at the initial exchanges between client and server.  I would doubt
> there's an smb.conf option to let you control this, however with the source
> at your disposal, you can make a patch easily enough.

OK, I will fire up my tcpdump/tethereal ...

> Is your main goal to avoid "weak" operating systems like XP Home, or are you
> targetting specific users with this requirement?
>
> It's a bit unusual.

I guess it is.
I do not want to ban any users. I'd like to force people moving to
our new XP Pro computers.

Perhaps I could set it up in a way disallowing share access after a
logon - only joining the domain at system log in would be allowed.
Therefore no machines incapable of Samba domain logon would be
banned.

--
Michal Kurowski
perl -e '$_=q#: 13_2: 12/o{>: 8_4) (_4: 6/2^-2; 3;-2^\2: 5/7\_/\7: 12m m::#;