[Samba] XP-client logs in, but does not load profile from server and only uses a local one.

Peter Ulrich Kruppa kruppa at pukruppa.net
Mon Jun 28 14:32:11 GMT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Navid Zamani wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> i'm new to the mailing list, because i already searched the whole list and
> google fot this, but i could not find anything:
>
> I have set up a cute Samba 3 PDC as described here:
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#id2498710
>
> In fact the setup is nearly exactly the same. (I've just added one more
> share.)

In fact setting up the profiles is the biggest problem with
samba. Here are some things you might check:
> Then i used a XP client to load a local profile to \\%L\Profiles\%u\ like
> described in the howtos (forgot where it was) and logged in with that new
> user in the domain.
1) You have distinguish the share name in [...] from the the unix
    path. So if your service is called \\%L\Profiles\%u\ in
    [global] section, then you need to have a section [Profiles]
    with the correct UNIX path, p.ex. /usr/local/profiles .
    Small typos like /usr/local/Profiles or [profile] will make it
    unavailable.
    By the way: I use a capital %U and no slash at the end. I
                don't know if that makes a difference.
2) The user profile directory has to exist before the first
    login. XP can fill up the user profile directory but not
    create one. You can create the directories manually or in case
    you need very many profiles, there exist simple scripts which
    create them for you.
3) The user needs to own his profile and he needs full
    permissions on it. See your system's manuals about chown and
    chmod .

These were my ideas: I hope one of them helps.

Uli.