[Samba] Group Policy

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 25 03:40:52 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 01:56, Ashley Burt wrote:
> I hope I don't get a ton of flames for this but I am wondering if anyone
> knows a way to migrate a samba 3 controlled domain to an Windows based
> Active Directory domain.  Let me explain why.
>
> I want to continue to use samba as my file and print servers but I
> really need the ability to use Group Policies.  As far as I know there
> is no way to do this without ADS.  I would like to have a Windows 2003
> ADS server with Samba 3 file and print servers.

Which part of Group Policies do you need?  NT4 system policies handle a
lot, and there is some information floating about regarding the use of
client-side group policies.

> The hard part is that I don't want to rejoin all my machines (~700) and
> I want all my users and passwords preserved (~1,300).  Any help or ideas
> would be appreciated.
>
> Oh ya, down with Microsoft, hail Samba. :-)

There may be some information over in Samba TNG, but in general this is
hard, because we do not implement the server-side BDC protocols.

Andrew Bartlett