[Samba] problems with homes share

Martin Ferguson martin at mve.com
Mon Jun 21 14:16:26 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am currently setting up samba on a network which on the UNIX side has NIS
user's home dirs under a /homes automount - not quite sure why, but they are
and this I can't change just now.

I therefore need to share the home accounts under a shared samba called
homes, this of course plays havoc with the intended functionality of the
homes share.

I end up with a share called homes which allows the users to browse all home
accounts, which is fine.
\\machine\homes\all-users

I also get a share which mirrors the above share, however instead of the
homes path it uses to username of the user connecting to the share,
\\machine\username\all-users

I'd like to completely turn off the latter share, or have homes have homes
behave in the way it should as well as allowing the homes\all-users share.
\\machine\homes\all-users
\\machine\connecting-user

My smb.conf entry of homes look like

[homes]
   path = /homes
   comment = Homes Directories
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775
   case sensitive = yes
   preserve case = yes

Any help much appreciated, although I fear the only answer will be to change
the NIS accounts to /home.

Thanks
Martin.

p.s. no idea why the original sys admin set-up the NIS accounts on /homes.
:-(