[Samba] [EXPERIENCES] with OpenLDAP and Samba and Redundancy ???

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Mon Jun 21 08:13:18 GMT 2004

Hi there & big thanks for your response

i studied some information and i'm still confused (a little bit)

>>and now tell me please how the master can replicate his LDAP tree to the
>>slave to get a 1:1 copy and a backup of my LDAP tree, if it's readonly
>>?!?!?!
>
> ----
> <http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin22/replication.html>
okay, nowhere in this doc they tell me to set the slave to readonly
if i even try, slurpd on master fails to replicate data to the slave

the second problem is: ldap slave sends referral to the clients pointing
them to ldap master
if ldap master is dead, no changes can be made
okay, some people in this list tell me, that's okay, but if no changes
can be made if master is dead, i don't really need an backup/slave
(ldap) server, because there's still some work to do, to get the team
"ldap+samba" go on working again

it's no failover solution in case of emergency and no admin is around

 >From bgmilne at obsidian.co.za:
 >They won't be making changes, since you can't make changes against a
 >slave. The slave will return an error and a referral to the master
 >(which is down), so your changes will fail, but existing accounts will
work.
but what about machine passwords? what if the windows machine tries to
change its machine password and master is dead?
is the password changed locally on the workstation or is the change
scheduled (for another try)?

if the smbd on the BDC tries to contact its ldap server (=ldap slave)
will it also be referred (by referrals) to the master?

thanks
greez

--

          "Matrix - more than a vision"