[Samba] Re: Mounted shares hangs when accessing

Stephen Semeniuk stephen at sentai.com
Thu Jun 17 20:31:00 GMT 2004

Brian Oppermann wrote:
> I am on Fedora Core 2.  I have tried using smbmount
> and auto.fs to mount both samba and windows shares.
> They all mount successfully.
>
> However, in a terminal window or in Nautilus when I am
> trying to access the shares (even an ls command in
> terminal window) will completly hang the share point.
>
> This process then becomes an un-killable process.
> Other systems can connect to the share point and use
> it fine while this is going on.
>
> Anyone have any ideas how to fix/get around this
> problem?

I've just encountered this as well.  In the system log file, I found this:

Jun 16 11:33:18 stephen kernel: smb_lookup: find //.Trash-stephen
failed, error=-5

It was followed by a bunch of stack trace information.  Anyhow, I
checked my home directory and discovered there was no .Trash-stephen
directory.  I created this directory, rebooted, and now my samba mounts
all work well.

Hope this helps.