[Samba] Modify but not create permissions

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue Jun 15 22:25:47 GMT 2004

I am still trying to figure out why samba wont let me create in subdirectories

I've tripple checked everything and a few things leapt out at me.

*) I can modify a file inside a directory that I cannot create a file in.  I
did not know it was possible under linux to do that.

*) If I set all perms on 777 I can create.  But neither 775 or 755 will allow
it.

*) When I go into a mount through a terminal, and I do an ls -l I get raw UID
numbers back instead of actual owners.  Is this normal?  I could not
remember.

The logs show me being accepted as UID 500 which is what the files and
directories are owned by

I am still baffled by the being able to modify, but not delete or create...

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point!

--

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Wisdom does not mean knowledge but experiential understanding. Wisdom helps
you to change radically your habits and perceptions, as you discover the
constantly changing, interconnected nature of the whole of existence.
-Martine Batchelor, "Meditation For Life"