[Samba] PRINT$ Problems

Aaron Goodman aams at geoduck.net
Tue Jun 15 19:22:48 GMT 2004

   Here are some more details. I am using samba 3.0.2a-Debian so that rules
out the possibility of the bug mentioned here:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-February/080294.html.  I am using
the printer drivers from HPs website
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=71896&lang=en&lc=en
&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228).  I can print locally using the HPIJS drivers, how do
I figure out what PPD?  I added the drivers using the add printer wizard in
Windows XP.
   Another thing, the printer is not connected directly to the machine
running cups and samba; it is attached to a SMC router/print server.  The
SMC router has a proprietary driver for windows and a more standard one for
Linux so I decided to avoid that by connecting it to the Linux box and
sharing it via samba.  The printers.conf is below.
   I can print just fine if I disconnect a computer from the network and
install the drivers by hand then reconnect.  If I can't get point and print
to work is there a way to reset the drivers so it will prompt for me to find
them locally rather than installing ones that don't work?

---printers.conf--
<DefaultPrinter HP5550>
Info HP5550
Location
DeviceURI lpd://192.168.1.3:515/lpt1
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
-----

---global section----
[global]
   workgroup = geoduck.net
   server string = %h server (Samba %v)
   load printers = yes
   printcap name = cups
   printing = cups
   guest account = nobody
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   log level = 2
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam guest
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   dns proxy = no
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .

   obey pam restrictions = yes
------

-Aaron Goodman