[Samba] Problem changing password - rejected the tconX error

Brand, Thomas R. TRBrand at cvs.com
Fri Jul 30 19:31:38 GMT 2004

Hello,

  I've recently been having a bit of a problem with changing my smb password.
Any help would be appreciated.

Configuration is :
Server OS: SCO Unixware v7.1.1
Samba 2.2.7a
Using smbusers and smbpasswd files.  The smbusers file only has those
users whose NT ID is different from thier Unix ID.

I have tried googling for the error and have read the pertinent parts of the
SAMBA HowTo <http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html#acctmgmttools> but have not made any headway.

When logged in as root, there is no problem changing any users password.

When a user tries to change their password from the unix command line,
they get the following:

/u/usr/naleblan>smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the tconX on the IPC$ share. Error was : NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.
Failed to change password for naleblan

I have reset the password to a known value (using root) and tried again
to change the password as when logged in to unix as the user, but still get
the same message.

However, using the same [Old SMB] password with smbclient seems to work fine.
/u/usr/naleblan>/usr/lib/samba/bin/smbclient -L localhost
added interface ip=10.134.28.152 bcast=10.134.28.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[RXADMINWEB] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.7a]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------

        Eagle          Disk      /u/usr/Eagle
        tmp            Disk      Temporary file space
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.2.7a on CVS9011c)
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Samba 2.2.7a on CVS9011c)
        naleblan       Disk      Home directory for naleblan

        Server               Comment
        CVS9011C             Samba 2.2.7a on CVS9011c
        RXADMINWEB           Samba 2.2.7a on RxAdminWeb

        Workgroup            Master
        RXADMINWEB           RXADMINWEB

--
Tom Brand