[Samba] Characters

Mario Gamito gamito at netual.pt
Wed Jul 28 11:02:48 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have this Samba server.
I'm from Portugal, so my users give names to their files containig
characters like à, õ , í, etc.

>From the Windows point of view, everything is ok, but in the Linux
filesystem, those characters became a real mess.

The problem is that i need to record CDs directly on the server, and i
have a good deal of file and directory names all messed up.

I've already tried using "unix charset = CP860" (860 is the portuguese
codepage) in smb.conf, but no good.

I've read the documentation, but got to no conclusion.

In short, i'd like to when a user saves a file, let's say "olá.txt" in a
Samba share, the file in the Linux filesystem is also called "olá.txt"
and not "ol_?.txt" or something messy alike.

A last info:

[root at dori home]# echo $LANG
en_US.ISO-8859-1
[root at dori home]#